Pearland Plant Powers Up in Houston

Suzanne Edwards of the Houston Business Journal reported today that Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Compressor International Corp.’s new manufacturing facility is now operational. Mitsubishi calls the new complex Pearland Works. They will be holding a grand opening on April 25 to mark the completion of the first of a two phase plan.

In phase one, the facility is able to complete the final stages of production and packaging on mechanical drive steam turbines and compressors. After phase two, the company will be able to manufacture the products on site.

Alongside marking the opening of Pearland Works, Edwards’ story also notes the plant will be employing more people than originally planed. Previously, the plant was intended to hire 100 people, but now the plans have expanded to 200 employees.

Edwards explains the investment numbers in her story:

“Altogether, the complex represents a $75 million investment, 70 percent of which comes from MHICIC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Tokyo-based Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., with the remaining 30 percent coming from Mitsubishi Corp. (Americas).”

This facility will be one of the largest Houston-area examples of reshoring manufacturing from Japan.


About the Author

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Short Registration

Match with reputable MBA/MS programs in minutes by completing your applicant profile with MetroMBA. As a registrant, you will also gain access to resources, advice and exclusive offers as you research and pursue your graduate business school options.
  • Please only indicate the regions you are interested in pursuing your graduate management education. If you select, "all regions" you do not need to select individual regions.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Your compare list